About Me

Hello! My name is Britt LeBeau, and I am currently in between blocks 3 and 4 as an education student at FGCU. I am a Special Education major, and I hope to be a resource teacher at the high school level. I lived in Chicago, Illinois for 19 years. While in Chicago I ran track all throughout high school. I have been playing volleyball since I was 11. My high school was number three in the Nation, and my club team even went to the Junior Olympics twice. After graduating high school in 2009 I began school at University of Dayton in Ohio. When I was a sophomore I moved here to Fort Myers and began attending FGCU. I spend my summers at my cottage in Eagle River, Wisconsin. While there, I enjoy being boating on the lake, water skiing, wake boarding, and just being in the north woods. I am also part of a profession water ski show team called the Chain Skimmers Water Ski Show Team in Wisconsin. I attended Saint John Fisher from 3 year old preschool all the way up to 8th grade. Then I went to Mother McAuley High School for four years. I have always worn a uniform at school up until college. I have worked in retail, restaurants, resorts, and as a volleyball coach. For four years I was a water ski instructor for students from the ages of 6-18. My family has always lived on the South Side of Chicago, and the community is very close. My dad was a Chicago Fire Fighter for 35 years and is currently retired. My mom was a High School business teacher for 35 years in the suburbs of Illinois and is also retired. I have one younger brother who currently is attending University of Illinois. My family also has a pug that is ten years old, and I myself have a puppy that is just about to turn two! I enjoy being at the beach, out on the water, paddle boarding, playing sand volleyball, water skiing, and everything that has to do with the outdoors. Although I moved to Florida for the weather, I do enjoy spending my Christmas breaks in Wisconsin where I go snowmobiling and snow skiing. I am very active and love teaching. I have wanted to be a teacher because it is a job that keeps you on your feet, and I love working with kids.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Chapter 5- Traditional Literature

        Do you know the four most powerful words in the English language? They are “once upon a time”. Traditional literature, folk literature, or oral literature is the standard tales, stories, and poems of people that have been passed down by word of mouth through many generations. Since traditional stories have been handed down orally, no one knows who told the tales first. However, there is a reason why folk literature has traveled around the world, and this reason is because it meets a variety of human needs. These needs include: the need to explain the natural world in the absence of scientific information, the need to articulate our fears and dreams, thus making them accessible and manageable, the need to impose some order on the apparent random, even chaotic, nature of life, thus helping us to understand our place in the universe, and the need to entertain each other, as well as ourselves.
         Traditional literature provides children with values, and it is important that children become familiar with the rich heritage of folk literature that has come down to use from cultures around the world. Children can use traditional literature to understand the personal dimension of standards of behavior of a culture and at the same time reduce stereotypes. Traditional literature also presents children with framework for the literature, drama, and art they will come across later in school. Children are also provided with entertainment and pleasure because they enjoy reading and hearing folktales. Traditional stories also contain strong rhythm, rhyme, and repetition of patterns that are created for the children’s developing memory and imagination.
          After reading chapter five I discovered resources teachers and parents can use with students. The first activity found on http://pinterest.com/pin/170222060887316722/ , contains fun, hands-on activities to teach traditional literature to children. The next activity found on http://pinterest.com/pin/175781191677904576/ , is a cute idea teachers can use with students after reading traditional literature. The “Wanted” sign is a fun way for students to demonstrate what they have comprehended from the story. If you explore the link, you will find a variety of other activities specifically for traditional literature. You can also visit The Cinderella Project, located on the right column under chapter five, to find text and images containing a dozen English versions of the fairy tale. You will also find multiple versions of Little Red Riding Hood, Jack and the Beanstalk, and Jack the Giant on the website. The Rosetta Project is another link located under chapter five that is an online collection of antique books that are traditional tales. The books on this site are divided into sections: prereader, early reader, intermediate reader, and advanced reader. The Scholastic’s Myths, Folktales, and Fairy Tales is another website worth visiting. Here, students learn from authors Jane Yolen, Alma Flor Ada, Rafe Martin, Nina Jaffe, and John Sciezka to develop their skills in writing myths, fairy tales, and folktales. Each workshop provides step by step guidance through the writing process.

No comments:

Post a Comment