About Me

Hello! My name is Britt LeBeau, and I am currently in between blocks 3 and 4 as an education student at FGCU. I am a Special Education major, and I hope to be a resource teacher at the high school level. I lived in Chicago, Illinois for 19 years. While in Chicago I ran track all throughout high school. I have been playing volleyball since I was 11. My high school was number three in the Nation, and my club team even went to the Junior Olympics twice. After graduating high school in 2009 I began school at University of Dayton in Ohio. When I was a sophomore I moved here to Fort Myers and began attending FGCU. I spend my summers at my cottage in Eagle River, Wisconsin. While there, I enjoy being boating on the lake, water skiing, wake boarding, and just being in the north woods. I am also part of a profession water ski show team called the Chain Skimmers Water Ski Show Team in Wisconsin. I attended Saint John Fisher from 3 year old preschool all the way up to 8th grade. Then I went to Mother McAuley High School for four years. I have always worn a uniform at school up until college. I have worked in retail, restaurants, resorts, and as a volleyball coach. For four years I was a water ski instructor for students from the ages of 6-18. My family has always lived on the South Side of Chicago, and the community is very close. My dad was a Chicago Fire Fighter for 35 years and is currently retired. My mom was a High School business teacher for 35 years in the suburbs of Illinois and is also retired. I have one younger brother who currently is attending University of Illinois. My family also has a pug that is ten years old, and I myself have a puppy that is just about to turn two! I enjoy being at the beach, out on the water, paddle boarding, playing sand volleyball, water skiing, and everything that has to do with the outdoors. Although I moved to Florida for the weather, I do enjoy spending my Christmas breaks in Wisconsin where I go snowmobiling and snow skiing. I am very active and love teaching. I have wanted to be a teacher because it is a job that keeps you on your feet, and I love working with kids.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Chapter 14- Reading by Children: Independent Reading and Writing and Literature Circles


          Independent reading is something that is very important no matter the age of the child. There are many benefits of independently reading, but it is often done incorrectly. Teachers need to realize that independent reading cannot be only providing children with time to choose books and read. Effective teachers allocate the time given for students to read independently.  It is during independent reading that children should read books they have selected and respond to their reading in a journal. Teachers need to work with children in whole group, small group, and individual settings to provide effective scaffolding.
           It is important to realize that shared reading, guided reading, and independent reading must be well thought through.  There should be a form of assessment and observation of children that includes curricular goals.  It is critical that teachers observe their students as they are reading and writing aloud in multiple situations. Observations are key to revealing important information teachers need to know about how students interact with and respond to texts, other students, and themselves during instructional and independent settings. Once teachers have learned about their student it is important that they create a classroom library that is based off of their students’ literacy personalities. Book baskets or tubs can be an effective and flexible way to categorize books in a classroom for students. I have provided links to possible ideas you may want to use for your classroom library. The first link: http://pinterest.com/pin/119134352615164746/  is a neat way to organize the classroom with a great reading area. All the books can be in the corner allowing comfy areas for sitting. Reading is so important, and students will appreciate a quite area just for reading. The next idea is somewhat similar: http://pinterest.com/pin/217158013253815319/. This classroom library has a couch in the corner with book shelves and a short curtain in order to separate the area. The final idea: http://pinterest.com/pin/516225176007302527/ for a reading corner uses books in little baskets. This makes it all look so much neater and easy for little hands to pack away.
            Students are much more likely to be motivated and engaged in reading something they select to read, just as anyone would be. Everyone is interested in particular activities or topics so it is important to pay close attention to what students are interested in. In order for students to learn from a book they need to be engaged and motivated. Reading with persistence and stamina is also important for child to understand. When selecting a book to read students should consider: something they are interested in, the right amount of pages, favorites authors, right level, if they can read most of the words, if it reminds them of something in their past, if the pictures and illustrations are good, and if the book is funny.
            Sticky notes is an idea mentioned in the book that I thought could be very helpful for students. Sticky notes can be an effective way to encourage children to think as they read. While using the notes the reader is involved in monitoring their own thinking by serving as a way to question, predict, or talk back to the text. This link, http://pinterest.com/pin/102527328987360243/, provides an example of a list of ways students can use sticky notes to record their thinking while reading, helping their metacognition. Another idea for helping students during reading is to create a response journal. In the response journal students write their thinking about the texts they read. Journals can be created from notebooks, pocket folders, or paper booklets. Guidelines must be established for journal entries. As the teacher, it is important to model and demonstrate example of journal entries for students to follow. It is common for teachers to write back a response in the students’ journals that can include questions or other comments that prompt the child to expand the breadth or depth of their thinking. I have provided a few links on creative ways to create a reading response journal: http://pinterest.com/pin/339881103097834382/, http://pinterest.com/pin/211176669999760960/, and http://pinterest.com/pin/45528646204865876/.
             I have also provided three online resources located in the right column to view for more information. These resources include: Annenburg Media, Literature Circles Resource Center, Reading Rockets: Comprehension: Helping English Language Learners Grasp the Full Picture, and Reading Workshop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment