About Me

Hello! My name is Britt LeBeau, and I am currently in between blocks 3 and 4 as an education student at FGCU. I am a Special Education major, and I hope to be a resource teacher at the high school level. I lived in Chicago, Illinois for 19 years. While in Chicago I ran track all throughout high school. I have been playing volleyball since I was 11. My high school was number three in the Nation, and my club team even went to the Junior Olympics twice. After graduating high school in 2009 I began school at University of Dayton in Ohio. When I was a sophomore I moved here to Fort Myers and began attending FGCU. I spend my summers at my cottage in Eagle River, Wisconsin. While there, I enjoy being boating on the lake, water skiing, wake boarding, and just being in the north woods. I am also part of a profession water ski show team called the Chain Skimmers Water Ski Show Team in Wisconsin. I attended Saint John Fisher from 3 year old preschool all the way up to 8th grade. Then I went to Mother McAuley High School for four years. I have always worn a uniform at school up until college. I have worked in retail, restaurants, resorts, and as a volleyball coach. For four years I was a water ski instructor for students from the ages of 6-18. My family has always lived on the South Side of Chicago, and the community is very close. My dad was a Chicago Fire Fighter for 35 years and is currently retired. My mom was a High School business teacher for 35 years in the suburbs of Illinois and is also retired. I have one younger brother who currently is attending University of Illinois. My family also has a pug that is ten years old, and I myself have a puppy that is just about to turn two! I enjoy being at the beach, out on the water, paddle boarding, playing sand volleyball, water skiing, and everything that has to do with the outdoors. Although I moved to Florida for the weather, I do enjoy spending my Christmas breaks in Wisconsin where I go snowmobiling and snow skiing. I am very active and love teaching. I have wanted to be a teacher because it is a job that keeps you on your feet, and I love working with kids.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Chapter 13- Reading to and with Children: Reading Aloud, Shared and Guided Reading and Writing


                This chapter was especially important because it discusses what to do, how to do it, and what are effective techniques when it comes to reading to and with children. When you look back to your beginning school years it is most likely that you remember the books your teacher or parents read to you. Reading aloud allows children to fall in love with the teacher who does it well and who does it often. It is important to be this teacher, because these are the ones that are never forgotten.
                The most important characteristics of an effective read aloud are passion and enthusiasm. These two characteristics separate effective read alouds from ineffective read alouds. Research has shown that increased motivation and positive attitudes towards reading comes from reading aloud. Reading aloud also helps language and literacy development in the understanding of story structure. Vocabulary, conventions of print, decoding, reading comprehension, and literary understanding all benefit from reading aloud as well. So why not do it and do it right?
                Reading aloud provides context for teachers to demonstrate the nature, purpose, and act of reading. It creates an environment that listeners have equal access to knowledge. It builds interest in language and provides models of language in use. Reading aloud improves listening skills and it also develops the use of imagery. Multiple perspectives and a broadening of the listener’s worldview are also offered through reading aloud. In the end, the effectiveness of a read aloud depends on the amount of consideration given to how often to read aloud, what to read aloud, and how to read aloud. To help you with reading aloud I have provides a few websites worth visiting. The first website that I think is very beneficial for reading aloud is Mem Fox: And Do It Like This. This websites includes such a large amount of information that you will be fully equipped to read aloud effectively. Just from visiting this site you can learn more about expert advice on how to read aloud. You can also learn about Mem Fox’s life, her stories, and you can hear her read aloud. I love this website and have found it helpful for reading aloud myself. The next website I visited was Jim Trelease on Reading. Here, author Jim Trelease provides a handbook on reading aloud at home and in the classroom. Various valuable resources can be found on his website that include links to several chapters from his book. Reading Rockets: Reading Aloud is another website that provides videos, website, articles, and resources for reading aloud. Reading Is Fundamental: Reading Aloud is a site that is worth visiting because it prepares and motivates children to read by delivering free books and literacy resources to the families that need them the most. This is a great site that also includes resources for educators and parents for reading aloud, creating a literacy rich environment at home, lesson plans, and book selection. With the resources provided, there is not reason why anyone should not read aloud effectively. 

No comments:

Post a Comment